moto

Let there be light

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Scents and Sensibility

How to use scents sensibly? Looking at myself and others we tend to surround ourselves with artificial scents, perfumes, air fresheners, scented creams and soaps, and of course scented candles. Sometimes I realize I get carried away using all sorts and forms of smells to cover up our natural scents. I tend to forget the good smell of sweating during a workout or good sex. If a shirt is left alone with the sweat to get sour it needs washing not deodorant underneath.


 If I enter into a closed carpeted room and it smells moldy, clearly it has mold in it so the most sensible thing to do is to thoroughly clean it, maybe let some real fresh air in and not only light a heavily scented candle or use a strong air freshener spray to cover up 



the unpleasant smell. Mold is not good for us so better try to get rid of it and then maybe light a slightly scented candle for a last touch of cleaning like a dessert at the end of a good meal when you are not too stuffed up to enjoy it.



I am not a religious person yet one of my favorite philosophers is one of the greatest Jewish Rabbis ever, Maimonides or the RAMBAM as we call him in Hebrew, who in the 12th century taught of "Golden Mean"- the middle path in life which is good for soul as well as for body (he served as the personal doctor of the king of Spain).


 I try to lead my life accordingly and my approach to scents in candle is no different.  So I try to make my candles as friendly as possible without them being too invasive in their scents.



I try to make them as scented as spices and herbs in good cooking and not as heavily scented as air freshener for the loo. I must tell you that when you enter my house you can feel their presence but they will not be able to compete against my famous chicken soup or the dreamlike scent of blooming Jasmine at night time.

Yet this is me and my taste, if you feel differently you can always contact me and I will be happy to follow your wishes and dreams and expectations from scented candles.

I will love to get your feed back and opinion so please leave a comment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment